Food Safety Scotland

Christmas Time for Clostridium Perfringens?

Food Poisoning

Caused by Clostridium Perfringens Bacteria

It was reported in Janusry 2015 that a  pub chef and his manager had both been jailed after a Christmas dinner served at their restaurant in 2012 left a mother dead and dozens of other diners ill with food poisoning.turkey food poisoning .http://www.tbds.co.uk
Mehmet Kaya and Ann-Marie McSweeney, the chef and manager of the Railway Hotel in Hornchurch, Essex, were convicted of lying to police when the diners fell ill.
They were jailed at Snaresbrook Crown Court for 12 months and 18 months respectively for perverting the course of justice.


Mitchells & Butlers, the chain which owned the pub, was fined £1.5 million after being found guilty of placing unsafe food on the market.
Council officials said Kaya and McSweeney hindered investigations into the deadly food poisoning by forging records relating to the cooking of the turkey.

They were found guilty of perverting the course of justice at a trial last year.
Mother-of-one Della Callagher, 46, died two days after eating the four-course meal at the pub on Christmas Day in 2012. It left a further 33 people ill.
Havering Council carried out a year-long investigation into the incident, which found the reason for the illnesses was food poisoning.
It was said to have been caused by Clostridium perfringens bacteria, because the turkey meat was either not cooked adequately or not reheated properly.
Dr Deborah Turbitt, from the Health Protection Agency, said at the time of the incident: “Clostridium perfringens bacteria are the third most common cause of food poisoning in the UK and this mostly occurs in relation to red meat or poultry. Indications suggest that this outbreak is an isolated event.

Avoid this kind of food poisoning tragedy in your business. Make sure you associates ,managers and directors receive  REHIS certified training in all aspects of food hygiene.Speak to us at Training & Business Development Services.

http://www.tbds.co.uk