Food Safety Scotland
Search

cook thoroughly

DONT WASH RAW CHICKEN

The Truth About Campylobacter

People talking about the real life effects of food poisoning bug known as campylobacter. It’s the most common cause of food poisoning in the UK. It can be fatal. Spread the word, not the germs

 

campylobacter the risks of washing raw chicken. www.tbs.co.uk

 

http://www.tbds.co.uk  For Information on Cross Contamination Training Courses througout Scotland please click on this link and visit our web page.

 

e coli O157 linked to venison products

Nine Cases e coli O157 Reported

Nine people across Scotland have contracted the same strain of e coli O157 after eating venison reports the BBC.
They all consumed products including sausages, steaks and meatballs which were raw when purchased and cooked at home. ecoli O157, tbds cross contamination training courses stirling,glasgow,edinburgh,inverness
The venison is believed to have been bought from various shopping outlets.
Health and food standards officials, headed by Health Protection Scotland (HPS), are investigating.

Dr Syed Ahmed, consultant with Health Protection Scotland, said “It is important that all deer meat should be cooked thoroughly and should not be eaten medium or rare.
“The risk of E. coli O157 infection can be reduced by careful hand-washing, especially after contact with animals, handling raw meats, after going to the toilet and immediately before preparing or eating food and by making sure that food is always properly prepared.”

Escherichia coli O157, sometimes called VTEC, is a bacterial infection that can cause severe stomach pain, bloody diarrhoea and kidney failure. E coli O157 is found in the gut and faeces of many animals, particularly cattle.