Food Safety Scotland

health protection scotland

“Rodents Run Riot”

Large Fine Afer Dead Rodents and Flies DiscoveredRodent Pest control.

A major Supermarket chain has been fined £300,000 for food safety failings after inspectors found dead mice and flies at a home delivery depot.

Council safety officers made the discovery in the bread section at the site in Enfield, which distributes food to online shoppers in London and Essex.

Mouse Droppings

They also found mouse droppings on shelves and in a packet of cereal, while a pack of sugar in the home baking aisle had been gnawed by rodents.
Inspectors also found the shells of fly pupae under shelves, spilt foodstuffs and rotting coriander in home delivery trays when they visited the depot on May 27 last year.

The retailer was fined and ordered to pay £4,843 costs after it admitted three food safety and hygiene breaches at Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court.

Daniel Anderson, the cabinet member for environment, said: “It beggars belief that a national retailer would allow food to be stored in an environment where rodents are running riot.

Take Steps To Protect Your Business

Food Hygiene Training from TBDS ( simply click for more details)

Food Safety Events Edinburgh in October, November, December

Easy On Line Booking REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene Courses – 2017
Edinburgh – The Eric Liddell Centre


book on-line .

  • October 10th
  • November 9th
  • December 7th
  • Time 9.30am to 5.00 pm
  • Book on line now at
  • Click on Calendar and follow instructions
  • Includes teas, coffees REHIS Food Hygiene Handbook and Examination Fee.
  • Cost £65 for each Delegate. A TBDS Food Safety Event

REHIS Food Hygiene Training Glasgow

Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland hygiene.

Elementary Food Hygiene Courses – 2017




  • Where – Glasgow – Scottish Youth Hostel
  • When – March 15th
    April 25th
    May 17th
  • 9.30am to 5.00 pm
  • Food Hygiene & Safety Important to your business? Book on line now at Click on Calendar and follow instructions
  • Includes teas, coffees REHIS Food Hygiene Handbook and Examination Fee
    £65 for each Delegate.


hygiene training

REHIS Approved Food Hygiene Training Edinburgh

Check  Course CalendarFood Hygiene training Edinburgh

Book Edinburgh Training Course Today

Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland Elementary Food Hygiene Courses – 2017
Edinburgh – The Eric Liddell Centre

  • March 14th
  • April 4th
  • May 16th
  • Time 9.30am to 5.00 pm
  • Book on line now at Click on Calendar and follow instructions
    Includes teas, coffees REHIS Food Hygiene Handbook and Examination Fee.
    Cost £65 for each Delegate.


Allergen Alerts Continue Daily

Waitrose recalls Lovelife Peanuts & Raisins due to undeclared almonds, brazil nuts, cashews, and walnuts
Island Delight is recalling its Vegetable Short Crust Pattie as due to a manufacturing error, some packets may contain its Salt Fish Short Crust Pattie and will have incorrect allergen information on the packaging.

TRS Wholesale Co. Ltd recalls Bambino Quickeat Poha because of incorrect declaration of peanut.
TRS is recalling Bambino Quickeat Poha 110g because it contains peanut which is not correctly emphasised within the ingredients list. This means the product is a possible health risk for anyone with an allergy to peanuts.
Mackays Ltd is recalling two condiments containing sulphur dioxide not mentioned on the label
Mackays Ltd is recalling two condiment products that contain sulphur dioxide which is not mentioned on the label. This means the products are a possible health risk for anyone with a sensitivity to sulphur dioxide and/or sulphites.

Dorset Cereals recalling muesli range from Fulton Foods after incorrect allergens information
Dorset Cereals (a trading name of ABF Grain Products Limited) is recalling some of its Dorset Cereal muesli products sold at Fultons Foods because the allergens information is not emphasised correctly in the ingredients list.

Campylobacter? Salmonella? Danger Christmas Dinners Ahead

More food poisoning cases associated with Christmas  than barbecue season

camplobacter food poisoning


For many, it is the highlight of the Christmas season. Beware! Preparing and eating a turkey dinner can also be one of the most dangerous things you do over the holiday season.

More than ten million turkeys are sold during the festive season and twenty per cent of all food poisoning outbreaks are poultry-related. December’s reports normally outnumbering any other month.

Salmonella and Campylobacter

The two most harmful bacretia than can be  found in all types of poultry are Salmonella and Campylobacter. If not killed by the correct handling and cooking procedures both can cause serious sickness and in some cases long term illness.

Continue reading

How to wash your hands


How to wash your hands

So we all think we know how to wash our hands. But you can be sure that about 80% of us don’t do it correctly. Very dangerous especially if you are handling food you greatly increase the risk of cross contamination and possible causes of food poisoning to your customers.

Wash your hands in a manner approved for all food handlers

Continue reading

REHIS Training Stirling November

REHIS Training 

Five reasons you need to book a REHIS elementary food hygiene training course today

1.You will satisfy legal requirements for your workplace and as an employer, comply with current EU 852/2004 Regulations on the Hygiene of Foodstuffs and the new Food Hygiene (UK) Regulations 2006.

2.REHIS Elementary Food Hygiene training is a professionally and nationally recognised certificated course which provides training in the principles and best practice of good food hygiene.

3.You ensure the safety of your customers & service users

4.You learn skills for the workplace – prepare food safely and confidently

5.A poor food hygiene score published food safety score by your local EHO or the serving of an improvement notice for non-compliance could have serious implications for your business or organisationrehis training.

Continue reading

Scarborough Hotel Owner Fined

Hotel Owner Fined Over Food Hygiene

It has been reported By Yorkshire Coast Radio News
The owner of a hotel in Scarborough, North Yorkshire has been found guilty of food hygiene offences after a case brought against him by Scarborough Borough Council.

Victor Robertshaw, the owner of Brentwood Hotel on New Queen Street, pleaded guilty to four offences under the Food Safety and Hygiene (England) Regulations 2013. He was fined a total of £1,500 including criminal court charges, a victim surcharge and costs.

Continue reading

e coli O157 linked to venison products

Nine Cases e coli O157 Reported

Nine people across Scotland have contracted the same strain of e coli O157 after eating venison reports the BBC.
They all consumed products including sausages, steaks and meatballs which were raw when purchased and cooked at home. ecoli O157, tbds cross contamination training courses stirling,glasgow,edinburgh,inverness
The venison is believed to have been bought from various shopping outlets.
Health and food standards officials, headed by Health Protection Scotland (HPS), are investigating.

Dr Syed Ahmed, consultant with Health Protection Scotland, said “It is important that all deer meat should be cooked thoroughly and should not be eaten medium or rare.
“The risk of E. coli O157 infection can be reduced by careful hand-washing, especially after contact with animals, handling raw meats, after going to the toilet and immediately before preparing or eating food and by making sure that food is always properly prepared.”

Escherichia coli O157, sometimes called VTEC, is a bacterial infection that can cause severe stomach pain, bloody diarrhoea and kidney failure. E coli O157 is found in the gut and faeces of many animals, particularly cattle.